Making a difference update, from the recovery field – December 2017 edition…
Below are some bullet points of the highlights that happened in the Life Issues ministry over the last month:
· Our daughter-in-law, Brenda, gave her testimony on 12-19, it was great and she connected with others with the things that the Lord has brought her through. We are very proud of Brenda and our son, Luke, they now lead the High School group at HBF.
· One of our students plays Santa and rings the bell for the Salvation Army at Walmart (and maybe other places) at Christmas time; but he visited Life Issues on 12-15 and got pictures with about 17 children. We were able to give goodie bags to the children and it was a great night, thanks to all who helped!
· Our Angel Tree project grew into a big undertaking, but Mark and Laura rose to the occasion and raised support from HBF’s Adult Bible Fellowships, and were able to grant presents (multiple) to 22 children from 9 different families. It was humbling and an honor to help distribute to those kids!
· HBF filled 26 boxes of food for a Christmas dinner for needy families, and I got to help deliver some of them that went to Life Issues families, another humbling and fulfilling experience.
· The person, whose testimony was in last month’s update, wrote to me this month and let me know that he and another inmate got to lead another man to Christ in December, how refreshing!
· Our student who went into treatment on 11-27 got out and was able to get into Joshua House. On 12-23 he visited Rock Brook Church and gave his heart to Jesus / got saved; we’re very happy for him!
· Pat Lee and Chris are continuing to lead a Bible study on Sunday nights at Joshua House and it is bearing fruit. A former student recently got out of jail and is in there and is growing and attending!
· Rose gave her testimony on 12-29, and it was a sweet one. Rose is 800+ days clean now and will graduate from Drug Court in a month or so and we are very proud of her. Rose is a hard-working single mother that is very giving and also helps bring others to meetings and recovery!
· Life Issues received a year-end, electric wheel chair donation, from a friend of our ministry that lives in Springfield MO. We’re not settled on who will benefit from it yet, but it’s a several thousand dollar gift that we are thankful for and trusting God to utilize as he sees fit.
· One of our lady students moved out of town earlier in 2017, shortly after accepting Christ, but her and her two kids are back now and she’s employed but homeless. On 12-31 they were notified that some faithful believers from a local church in Harrisonville, which knew of her plight, donated $1500 to cover the security deposit and first month’s rent of a house that they were looking at; we rejoice to see how the Lord uses his church to care for his children!
· We had about 20 souls attend our New Year’s Eve celebration, one lady told me that she didn’t know how it could have been any better, another man told me that it was the best event that we’ve had!
· I am approaching 2018 by faith and expectancy, knowing that God is on the move in our midst; below are the sweet words of a man who came to us a little over a year ago and is now a member of our church and is being discipled…
My name is Kevin. I’ve been residing at the Joshua House for about 6 months. My hurts, habits, and hang-ups included alcohol, meth, marijuana, codependency, and anger. Well…. those issues have met their match! I thrive with structure and accountability. I am now saved and serve Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I am a member of a church where I’m currently enrolled in discipleship classes. I also participate in Celebrate Recovery and Life Issues groups. I have a good job and I work hard! I am productive and a VALUABLE member of society. For some, this may not seem like such a big deal. For me, this is all simply a miracle. If you are anything like me, and struggle with life hindering issues, you need to come check out the Joshua House.
Sincerely, Steve Fleshman – Life Issues pastor and founder, Proverbs 4:23…