“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12
We know that Jesus is “the light of the world”, and yet we don’t stop to consider how literally Christ meant that he is like unto light itself. Consider five parallels between physical light and Jesus Christ:
1. Light is pure, it cannot be defiled.
2. Light is constant, it doesn’t change.
3. Light draws attention to itself.
4. Light dispels darkness, it replaces darkness.
5. Light brings hope and life.
Is not all of this true of Christ? Is it any wonder that the sun is the source of light and life for us and that our whole solar system revolves around the sun? Psalm 84:11 says, “For the LORD God is a sun and shield…” and Malachi 4:2 says, “But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise…” in reference to Christ’s second coming. God gives us the sun as a constant reminder of who he is and what his life-giving attributes are, as well as a visual image of the fiery judgment to come.
“For our God is a consuming fire.” Hebrews 12:29
Each day as the sun rises it should remind us of the resurrection, each evening as the sun descends blood red on the horizon, it should remind us that Jesus died for us and was placed into a tomb and that without the sun, the world is in darkness. It would also be good to note here that the sun emits three types of rays, which demonstrate the triune Godhead.
1. X-rays = God the Father (can’t see or feel them) – John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17
2. Light rays = God the Son (can’t feel but can see them) – John 14:9
3. Heat rays = God the Holy Spirit (can’t see but can feel them) – John
Jesus was born of a virgin some 4000 years after Adam and Eve and since “…one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” (2 Peter 3:8), what day of creation do you suppose God created the sun? That’s right, DAY 4 (Genesis -19), just in the “fullness of time”!
“But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman…” Galatians 4:4
Are you still in darkness or has the “day star” (sun) risen in your heart? Friend, Jesus is not only “the light of the world”; he wants you to “have the light of life” personally. Just as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, you can have God’s “light” shine in your heart today through faith in God’s words!
· “The entrance of thy words giveth light…” Psalm 119:130
· “In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them… For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” 2 Corinthians 4:4, 6
· “We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:” 2 Peter 1:19
Post a Comment